Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Doodles by Andre Jordan

While I plan to post a delicious little recipe for some hobbit sized treats later this week, I thought I should give you all a little something to tide you over until then. Really though, I was just looking for an excuse to introduce more people to the wonderful twisted honest and sometimes dark humor of Andre Jordan.

Andre Jordan is a British cartoonist that now lives somewhere in the middle section of America with his wife and blind pit bull named Little Man. He started doodling in 2005 (before the wife, the dog and the house) as part of therapy to deal with his depression. Eventually these dark and tragic doodles led to a book called If Your Happy and You Know It which was later followed by another doodle book, a memoir, titled Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now. In addition to books, he also has a doodle series that he does for the BBC on the topic of mental health.

So you're probably thinking to yourself, jeeze this is all a bit heavy and what does it have to do with gardening or homemaking? Well, in addition to his other projects, Andre Jordan also does a weekly doodle for the gardening blog A Way To Garden. In it he shares the joys, frustrations and the inherent comedy of life in the suburbs.  His doodles cover the spectrum of life's events from the constant back and forth of keeping up with the Joneses, planning sweet revenge against your neighbor who mows his lawn at 6 am on a weekend, the battle of wills between a husband and wife who both garden or the pitfalls of desperately trying to grow things outside your climate zone. Since I didn't ask for permission to post them here, you can follow  a link to his doodles here and below I have linked to a few of my personal favorites. He's done a lot so I promise these can keep you occupied for quite some time.

We've all been here.

                                 Compromise in the garden.

                                 My all time favorite as I've lived through it.

                                 Dead Heading.

                                Enjoy!

No comments: