Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Cleaning Solution


I know I've already posted once today, but I've been holding onto this post for the past couple of weeks, and now is finally the moment. Ok, now is actually the time for homework, but trivial things like that can wait.


You see, I live with four other people, three of whom are now mechanics. In addition to this, our newest roomy brought with him a giant TV and gaming systems for the living room. This means our common areas have unfortunately started to smell like a mix of engine grease, man sweat and cigarettes. Disgusting. Our carpet has also received some unfortunate stain marks from the bottom of their greasy boots. On top of all of this, I began school three weeks ago and now lack the extra time to keep on top of their messes.


Alas, this situation has lead me to think about cleaning solutions and I have a recipe to share with you for an all purpose cleaner today. While I know that vinegar and water (which I use for my windows and mirrors) works great, I hate the smell of it. This recipe may cost a bit more upfront, but the ingredients will last a long time and it doesn't smell bad. In fact, you can make it smell however you like! Another thing I liked about this spray, is that it doesn't leave any sort of residue like the Trader Joes all purpose cleaner does.



-1 empty 32 oz. spray bottle
-3/4 c. Distilled White Vinegar
-1 c. Hydrogen Peroxide
-1 1/2 tsp. Castille Soap (Such as Dr. Bronner )
-30 drops Tea Tree Oil
-30 drops Essential Oil of choice (some of my favorite choices include lavender, lemongrass, rosemary, lemon verbena, spearmint, clove, cinnamon, anise, sage, grapefruit, lemon, and lime; experiment with one or a combo and see what scent makes you want to get lean and clean!)

The Deal:
-Place all ingredients into the spray bottle using a funnel or measuring cup with a spout.
-Add water until contents reach top of bottle.
-Shake vigorously and use with abandon!


*This recipe is found on the blog design*sponge

No comments: