Monday, January 18, 2010

The Dutch Oven's Madien Voyage


You know when you spend days, weeks, months or years pinning for something but for one reason or another (usually price or availability) you are unable to have it. Then one magical day, you are given one as a gift and the wait is over and you wonder, "was this really as awesome as I thought it would be?" If it was a 6.5 quart red dutch oven you were pinning for then the answer is YES!!!!!!!

For the last year or so I have wanted one of these versatile pots, but unfortunately they are quite expensive and I just couldn't justify it nor risk it getting injured by roommates if I did splurge. Now however, I am roommate free and this little Christmas miracle ended up under my tree.

Mr. Red and I had our maiden voyage together last night making Grandmother's Chicken from Sunset. I did do a couple of changes so feel free to check out the original recipe. I did some substitutions for stuff I had on hand. It was the perfect meal for a blustery winter evening, and with this pot clean up was a snap. All I had to do was wipe out this one pot! I definitely recommend this recipe if you need a surefire hit. Jeffry not only went back for seconds but thirds as well!

Poulet Grandmere


Ingredients:

2 Tbsp. Olive Oil

6 Chicken Drum Sticks

1 tsp. of Salt

1 tsp. of Pepper

1 white or yellow onion chopped coarsely

6 whole garlic cloves peeled

2 sprigs of thyme

2 inch sprig of rosemary

1 pound of fingerling potatoes halved

3 slices of thick cut bacon cut crosswise into 1/4 inch wide pieces

1 pound of cremini or button mushrooms cleaned and quartered

2 cups turkey broth

Directions:


1) Heat the olive oil in the pan. Season the Chicken pieces with the salt and pepper and fry until the skin is crisp and deeply brown. Remove from oil and set aside.


2) Pour off all but 2 tbsp. of the cooking oil and reduce to medium-low heat. Add the onions, garlic, thyme and rosemary. Cook, stirring often, for about 5 minutes, then add the potatoes and bacon. Stir occasionally until mixture is well browned, about 10 minutes. Pour off all but a thin layer of fat.


3) Add mushrooms and turkey stock and bring the liquid to a boil. Cook until the liquid is reduced by 1/4. Then arrange chicken skin side up on top of the vegetables.


4) Transfer the pot to the oven and bake at 375 for 20 minutes or until the chicken is done.




Notes:

- I definitely recommend a sweet white wine with this meal. I had a Riesling with it and it was sooo tasty.

-On step 2 the bacon never truly seemed to brown, but don't worry, it won't be goopy when it's all done.

-Don't skimp on the mushrooms. An equal amount of mushrooms to potatoes may seem like a lot, but they will shrink up.


-Don't reduce the liquid any more than 1/4. A LOT of the liquid will be gone after you pull it out of the oven and you want some of that to pour over your veggies and chicken.

-I used drumsticks because it's what I had on hand, but feel free to use any bone in chicken meat.

1 comment:

The Fearless Fickler said...

*squeal*
It's gorgeous! Oh you lucky duck.