Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Balsamic-Glazed Pork Chop

Today is one of the first days in a long while that I feel I can just let out a big sigh and take the time to do a blog post. I feel silly for always feeling behind on things, and for my house always just barely being kept up, because it seems like as a stay at home mom with only one baby to tend to I should be able to find more time to get things done. I foolishly thought when I had Claire that I would continue to have time to blog during the day like I did when I worked in an office and sat in front of the computer all day waiting for the phone to ring or for someone to need copies made. Today, however, my house is fairly clean (my standards are modest), the dog has been walked, my yard is pooper scooped and my baby is asleep all at the same time. Deep breath in, deep breath out. Even time seems to be moving slower today. No racing against the clock wondering how its already time to start dinner (at least I'm too busy to worry about boredom of SAHM life). So in celebration of free time, I would like to share a recipe I tried recently and to save it here so the next time I need it I'm not searching the Internet trying to remember how to make the darn thing!

Before I moved in with Jeff, I didn't do a lot with pork chops. I liked them when other people made them, but non-bacon pork always seemed a little bit of a mystery to me when it came to how to cook it. Once Jeff and I discovered how easy it was to BBQ up with very little fuss, just a bit of salt and a little time on the grill, it became something I always kept my eye out for in the grocery ads. As much as I love pork with just a bit of salt and a side of apple sauce, I was recently looking for something to go with polenta (a few too many mashed potatoes had been gracing our plates) and for some reason pork just stuck in my head. This recipe also fits into the category of looking more impressive than the preparation of it really justifies, and I always like to have a few of those recipes up my sleeve. Nice enough looking for a dinner with company and easy enough to make on a weeknight. Win, win.
Obviously I was not thinking of blogging this when I snapped this photo. Welcome to the harsh reality of how we eat. TV trays are our best friend.

Balsamic-Glazed Pork Chop
Original recipe from
Cooking Light can be found here.

ingredients
 
  • 6 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • large garlic cloves, minced
  • 4 (4-ounce) boneless pork chops
  •  polenta

  • 1) In a bag or Tupperware combine the rosemary, salt, pepper, garlic and meat. Allow the meat the marinate for an hour.

    2) Pour the vinegar into a saucepan and simmer until it is reduced by half. Vinegar reduces fast so don't walk away from it. This step will take less than five minutes.

    3) Grill on medium high heat for five or so minutes per side depending on their thickness. Pork is done when it reaches an internal temperature of about 150 degrees. Baste the pork with the reduced balsamic vinegar while it cooks.

    Serve with creamy polenta that is made following the package instructions. Using chicken broth instead of water and throwing in a small handful and Parmesan cheese and a tablespoon of butter when its almost finished will make it particularly tasty. Of course you could also just be lazy and buy pre-made polenta, but I think making it yourself is worth your time.

    I hope you enjoyed the recipe. As for me, my baby appears to still be asleep, and I still have another hour before I have to think about starting dinner. Now the question is should I be good and put away some laundry or throw my cares to the wind and do a little knitting...

    1 comment:

    Kay said...

    The pork chop recipe sounds delicious. Can't wait to try it when I get home.