Thursday, June 28, 2012

Lemon Bundt Cake with Boozy Berries

Hello friends, I know what you're all thinking. Why oh why do you have to look at so many adorable baby posts when what you really want is a tasty recipe or garden post. Well fear now more, today I have a fun summer recipe for you that also happens to involve alcohol. You're welcome.



I have been neglecting my strawberry patch this year. I'm pretty sure many a good berry has been eaten by birds or withered in the sun because I haven't gotten to it in time. While that thought makes me sad, it is simply the reality right now while I learn how to be a mom and a garderner and a housewife and an individual and a...well you get the idea. All in all I'm pretty pleased with the amount I have been able to get done in the garden so far, and I was very excited to notice a decent little crop of berries just as a friend was coming to stay the night. I was able to whip up this cake and berry combo quickly and it made a great dessert to cap off a lovely summer day. The boozy berries were inspired by this post from David Lebovitz and the cake from this Southern Living recipe.

I used butter to grease my pan and did not dust it with flour. This resulted in an awesomely crip outside of the cake.

I think these boozy berries would also be good over a lemon pound cake, but apparently pound cake requires an unholy number of eggs so I switched to bundt cake instead. I started the berries soaking early in the afternoon so they'd be good and marinated and their juices would leach out. The cake took all of ten minutes to whip together and then I let it bake while we ate our dinner. Does anyone else have a favorite summer go to dessert?


Lemon Bundt Cake with Boozy Berries
Cake ingredients
1 cup salted butter at room temp.
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/3 cup lemon juice
zest of 1 lemon
5 eggs
3 cups all- purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
2/3 cup almond milk (or regular milk)

Fruit topping ingredients
2 cups strawberries, cleaned and cut into bite size pieces*
1 soup spoon of sugar
semi-sweet white wine such as sauvignon blanc

Directions
1) Place strawberries in a bowl, top with sugar and let sit for 15 minutes or so. Then add enough wine to completely cover them. Let them soak in the fridge until ready to serve, preferably three or four hours.

2) Preheat oven to 350.

3) In a large bowl cream sugar and butter together with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, add lemon juice and zest and blend until well combined.

4) Beat in eggs one at a time, make sure each egg is fully incorporated before adding the next.

5) In a separate bowl mix the flour and baking powder. Add to the wet batter in three batches alternating with the almond milk. Start and end with the dry ingredients.

6) Pour batter into a greased 12 cup bundt cake pan. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until it starts to pull away from the sides of the pan and and springs back when poaked. Let cool for five minutes and then invert on a cooling rack or plate.

7) Serve slices of cake covered with with boozy berries. The cake is dense but not overly moist so you'll definitely want to pour a generous amount of the berry liquid over it as well. The cake will hold up to getting wet.

* This was enough berries for three people. Adjust according to how many you're feeding. The cake itself could easily feed 7-8 depending on how big you slice it. I would not plan on making more berries than you need for that day.

No comments: